Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sidewalk Chalk

CRB has really started to enjoy doing things. This is exciting for me, because since 2002, I have been eagerly anticipating playing with my child.

Sara, a former student of mine and now fellow church member, introduced him to sidewalk chalk during a cookout at her house. Sara is an awesome person, someone with whom it's always fun to spend time - she is full of smiles and joy. I had no idea that he'd find sidewalk chalk fun, but she did!

We've already worn out our first set of Dollar General sidewalk chalk. When my parents were visiting a few weeks ago, my dad got him to mark on some 1x1 wood scraps. CRB thought making chalk covered sticks was fabulous. Later, the cozy coupe became like a BMW "Art Car" once he covered it with various scribbles in multiple colors. If CRB turns out to have talent, or even interest, in art, his paternal grandmother will be excited, and no doubt relieved that he can be interested in something without internal combustion. But as he is the kid who tries to hug the leaf blower, we'll have to see...

He still does not seem to have a firmly established hand preference. He'll take the chalk in either hand that he finds handy and he will make line marks, straight and squiggly. He likes for me to make big recognizable shapes like squares, hearts, and hold your breath here ... "Balls!" ... otherwise known as circles to you and me. Toolman was more impressed with my Bono-headband COEXIST inspired graffiti, but to each is own...

Perhaps if CRB is feeling better tomorrow afternoon we can make some use of our new tiny splurge: Crayola-brand sidewalk chalk.

Peace out.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun! I want to come over and play with the sidewalk chalk too. My neighbors would think I lost my mind if I sat out front and did it now! (of course, that wouldn't be far from the truth)