Thursday, December 13, 2007

Acts of Desparation

Weeks ago, around the time when I disappeared from Blog-land, a few things happened.

The most life-altering one was our wonderful nanny started feeling bad. One morning she called me and said that instead of coming today she was going to the ER. She had been experiencing chest pains all weekend (!!!) and decided that she needed to do something. Sure enough, things were serious and one of the three stints in her heart had to be replaced. She is doing fine now, but she has had to cut back her days with us. For a week or two, ToolMan and I managed our full-time jobs without childcare. I don't really remember many details but while teaching class I had an inspiration. Here I am in a room of about 60 college students. Probably about 15 are female, and although our college did not manage to make the Top 10 Party Schools this year, some of these people could be capable of helping me with CRB. So I said "I am having a very hard time with childcare for my son at the moment. His regular nanny is experiencing some serious heart problems and I need some one to help me with him on Monday, Wednesday, and/or Friday. Let me know after class if you are interested." Then about 30 minutes later, while the students were peacefully working on their worksheet I announced "While you are working on your worksheet, be thinking about whether you are interested in helping with CRB."

To my amazement, I got a ton of takers. The girl I picked has been working out so well, and CRB is becoming attached to her. She takes him out for runs in the jogging stroller. She is serious about nutrition and she helps me makes sure he eats well. She is personable and nice and dependable. Why on earth did I not think about this earlier?! Our nanny almost back to her regular schedule, but now I have additional possible backup.

2 comments:

lizard queen said...

Great to hear that your nanny is better. That is great that you were able to find someone to help. Sounds like life is busy! Enjoy the holidays!

Anonymous said...

How nice to have someone like that! I'm sure she loves him as much as he loves her too. And I agree...it's nice to know you now have a trustworthy backup in case of emergency.