Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Addison's Trash Can

I am pretty sure that if you added up Toolman's lifetime medical bills and compared the sum to Colin's lifetime bills, Colin would be the "winner". Monday, Colin added to his extraordinary total with another vet visit.

Sunday, during my mommy-cleanup-a-thon that happens as soon as CRB is tucked in every night, I noticed that Colin was chewing something but I assumed it was a rawhide. On my next trip back through, I found that Colin was choking. Getting closer I realized that he was trying to eat the pork chop bone. I was able to remove it, and next I stuck my finger very, very far down his throat and I retrieved more pork chop bone.


Though I had just taken out the kitchen garbage, I did that too late. Earlier that evening we had pork chops. Toolman is a good cook but I was not able to finish mine. I guess the pork did not get wasted because during CRB's night-time routine, Colin got the pork chop out of the kitchen trash can.

Monday morning Colin began throwing up, and unusually rejected his breakfast. As dogs cannot digest pork, I became very worried, so after a call to the vet, we made the 70 mile trip. Our vet x-rayed Colin and the x-ray revealed that there was some object that was not poop in his lower intestine. This was good news, and the vet said since it had made it that far, it should make it's way out. Colin was not showing any signs of pancreatitis, so our doctor thought Colin would be fine.

I don't know how many times Colin has scavenged through the garbage since CRB was born but Sunday night will be the last time. I don't know how he manages to open the pantry door, or if he has just lucked out with it not being completely shut, but I have a new challenge for him.

When I told Toolman that our trash can has a website, he said "That's disturbing." But it's less disturbing than a yorkie eating most of a pork chop, bone and all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. I'm sorry for the vet bill & the gas money you used!! But the story is funny all the same!!

Hope he's back to normal now :)

Totallyscrappy said...

Now that is the mother of all trash cans! That will certainly keep Colin out of the trash can.

lizard queen said...

Leslie, Scary!

Glad Collin is ok. We had a scare with Molly eating some aluminum foil last week that the contractors left behind. I don't ever get out of the vet for less than $200!