Sunday, June 3, 2007

We Made It

[this is one of my more boring entries but oh well… I promise to include some pictures later.]

Yesterday the skies in Alabama were full of smoke. ToolMan and CRB and I ventured out around lunch time and CRB started that wheezy coughing. As an asthmatic I know what to look for and it was nothing over-the-top serious. For awhile we considered calling our allergist, but soon the plan was that I would go ahead and head to the beach. We studied the wind pattern and decided that the air down at the coast had to be better than in upstate Alabama. It was!

Since I decided to leave rather quickly, I did not print out my list but I did pretty well with the packing. I managed to take my car (disclosure: it's really a small SUV) and I had a ton of room to spare. I left the bumbo and took the Chicco seat. I forgot the detergent, Shout spot cleaner, and dish towels but everything else made it.

CRB did quite well on the way down. We spent about 1 hr 20 minutes hanging out at the Thomasville WM (it was our gas, food, and eating stop.) We hung out at the employee picnic tables so CRB was very distracted and it took a long time for him to eat his supper. The worst part of the trip occurred when he grabbed my Subway cup. He started going Ooh, Ooh. Finally I realized that he had spilled the whole thing, ice and all, in his nice floopy seat. So we ended up changing his clothes and diaper on the asphalt of the WM parking lot as I did not have a good spot in the car, and there was no way I was going to go back inside with drippy baby. That was the low point of my trip, other than the screaming when he realized his nighttime bottle was late and we had 45 minutes to go on our trip.

My mom and dad borrowed a 60s porta-crib and had it set up with a sheet and the 99 cent Goodwill bumper I found. He loves it! I guess it is more like his regular bed than the pack n play. He did great sleeping last night and is approaching hour 3 of the afternoon nap right now. Cheers to you, porta-crib!

No comments: