Saturday, June 9, 2007

Competitive Mommy

I met her at the pool today. She told her baby "Look at that baby. He's much younger than you."

I said "Hi baby! This is CRB, he's 8 months." CRB is delightfully splashing. Sizing up her babies alertness (see I am way-competitive mom, Competitive Mommy stands no real chance) I decided her son was at best 6 months, but probably younger, but I did not tell her so. I offered instead "Your son is doing a great job sitting up in his float."

"Oh your CRB is so small! My baby is 5 months and so much bigger, so I thought CRB must be younger. Maybe it's because my husband is 6'5"." edited to add: She continued on with a lot of this and that about what her pediatrician said about how he was so developmentally advanced and such.

This is the first time ever CRB was called small. I replied "Well I am enjoying his smallness as long as possible… trying to savor every moment."

I saw the light click on in her head. We were pals after that.

1 comment:

Totallyscrappy said...

Ugh! You handled that so well. My favorite Competitive Mommies are the overdressed ones at the park that go on about thier toddlers chore charts. Meanwhile I'm shlepping my three mobsters around...