Sunday, May 13, 2007

Surreal to Real

Step back with me to Wednesday, February 14, 2007. Picture me coming home from work super late. ToolMan has been keeping CRB since the afternoon. I come into the kitchen and see some chocolate and a cute Valentine's Day stuffed dog on the island. Picking up the stuffed dog, I see a card. It's addressed to MOM in my husband's handwriting.

"Hey ToolMan, did you forget to mail your mom her card?" I ask aloud.

"No." he replies, and he looks at me and smiles.

"Well then whose card. . . OH! ...WOW! Thank you!!"

This Mother's Day was different. The painful yearning that I felt for the last 5 Mother's Days was absent. Last year I was pregnant with CRB and we had known for several weeks that he was a boy. It should have been a happy day, but I have no memory of it. I spent so much of my pregnancy in a state of intense anxiety. The only memory that I have from last year is the sweet mother-to-be card that Kerri gave me. I kept that card out on the baker's rack in the kitchen until after CRB was born. In late September cards welcoming the baby surrounded that hopeful card.

Today was a good day. ToolMan gave me a beautiful Waterford vase that is the first in a series planned for Mother's Day. CRB gave me smiles, a hug, and we all had a two and a half hour afternoon nap. This evening I received great cards: one from ToolMan, and the other from my little boys Colin (yorkie) and CRB. This time I got the mom reference without missing a beat.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

I'm so glad that you were finally able to enjoy your first Mother's Day. And I'm also glad that you all got a nap after the trip you had!!

Amberly said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your first Mother's Day! They only get better!

lizard queen said...

How awesome to finally celebrate your day. Sounds like what dreams are made of.