Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Manic Monday Typed on Tuesday

Colin the yorkie had a seizure Monday morning at 3 a.m. The last time he had a seizure was winter 2006 as a result of confirmed vitamin D poisoning in his special food. His special food is necessary because of the huge bladder stone he had in 2005. The dog food company, Royal Canin, responded in a very good way by paying for all medical bills related to the incident, and Colin made a good recovery. But long story short, I am worried that his food may be making him sick again. There may be something in the Colin's system that is responding in a bad way to the food, or it may be the food. The RC Urinary SO food is quite different than any other food in the way it is trying to prevent both kinds of bladder stones.

I had said several times in the last month that I did not think he was feeling well. But after the seizure, ToolMan and I were concerned because the last time he had a seizure was with the poisoning. I took him to the vet on March 15 and he got a great report, or I would have taken him in sooner (Never in Colin's life has he been given such a good report).

We don't have clear findings yet, and we may not get them without some more repeated testing, but I have switched dog foods and I think he is beginning to feel better. Perhaps I am right, and perhaps he is better.

CRB went with Colin and me to the vet. It took about 1 hour 10 minutes to get to the vet, 4 (yes four!) hours at the vet, and about 1 hour 20 minutes to get home. CRB did great. He found everything fascinating and he enjoyed the other animals and toys. This was his 5th trip to the vet with Colin. That's a lot of vet trips for a 7 month old.

No comments: