Thursday, March 29, 2007

Strange Brew

I was telling one of my relatives how much CRB enjoys being with our part-time nanny. I said "He gets excited to see her." She said "Doesn't that make you jealous?" No..... Should it?

If he was not happy, it would be difficult to leave him. I guess I could wind myself up with anxiety like "What if I miss his actual first step?" But there are so many firsts - his first restaurant trip, the first time he throws a ball to Colin - it's really just whatever you want to make it.

Maybe I am a bad mommy but some days it is a relief to get out of the house and teach 400 students. Other days I am so glad to be able to ask her questions about CRB. She had 4 children, including a set of twins. She knows a lot more about babies than I do. She is thoughtful, she is kind.

People talk about people who are really good with children, and she is, but she is also really good with me. About two weeks after CRB was born, she said "Ok, you need to put down the baby."

You know she was right.

We don't have sleep issues. He wakes up in a good mood. He hits all of the developmental milestones early. Life is good. We have some difficult times but they pass.

Working mom. Kinda busy, but not too bad. Never jealous of my part-time nanny. Just thankful to have her in our lives.

-- *wink* For my 3 readers, Strange Brew is a Cream classic.

2 comments:

Heather Hartwig said...

It sounds like you have a very healthy attitude towards working/being a Mom. It is a tricky balance, and I know many women who beat themselves up about working and freak out if they miss a milestone. Hold onto that nanny, she sounds like a keeper!

lizard queen said...

I hope I am lucky enough to find such a nanny.