Wednesday, April 2, 2008

WFMW: easy choke tester gauge



My son, CRB, is one of those children who really likes to put things in his mouth, so while I am concerned about lead I am petrified of him finding a small object and choking.

Several months ago I looked for a choke test cylinder so I would be able to drop an item in to see what kind of problem it presented. I was not able to find one to purchase locally, but I did find some directions, and I attempted to make one. When looking around to find something of the right circumference to wrap my cardboard cutout around, I noticed that one of our amber colored perscription medicine bottles was almost the exact size: 2.5 inches deep with a circumference of 4.5 inches.

The only difference between the bottle and the cylinder diagram would be the bottles lack of a slope section in the bottom. That means the bottle would be a more conservative gauge than the official choke standard. I am ok with being more conservative on this one since CRB will probably have a career as a taste tester at some point in his life.

No comments: